Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Sensory Processing Disorder

Last October, when we got our diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder and Sensory Processing Disorder-to be honest Paul and I had no idea what Sensory Processing Disorder was.  We knew that kids with ASD frequently had "sensory issues," but I didn't really know what that meant.  We asked our doctor what SPD was and he began explaining it to us.  It was scary.  It was like he was describing Whitaker exactly.  We sat there and listened astonished-while we kept looking back at one another in awe as he described Whitaker and his behavior. 

At first, I didn't really think too much about Whitaker's SPD and how it effected him.  I just thought it was part of the whole ASD "package."  In March, after Whitaker's second set of ear tubes were placed, we started having a lot of behavioral problems that we hadn't had before.  It was like we couldn't get him to focus and we couldn't get him to participate in therapy.  That is when he started to be physically aggressive with me in moments where he didn't have the words to tell me what he needed.  It was hard to watch him and just know that he felt so "out of sorts."  It got really bad and to the point where I felt "done" trying. One day, after I had a meltdown in therapy, our wise speech therapist recommended for us to see an occupational therapist, or OT, to help with Whitaker's sensory needs and behavioral issues.

Our first evaluation with our OT was a complete disaster.  He had a historical meltdown.  After two hours of completing a sensory profile, evaluating and assessing, our OT recommended a 12-18 week block of therapy coming once a week.  She wanted to get started as quickly as possible, but was booked out a month.  She also said she would send out her assessment to me in the mail to look over and we could talk about it at our first therapeutic visit. 

During that month, I began to do some more research into SPD and what it really is.  In doing some research I realized how big of a deal SPD is and how it was ruling his life.  He felt so un-regulated that he couldn't learn, focus or sleep.  Imagine just feeling antsy or tired or icky all day every day.  That is how Whitaker felt. He was constantly searching how to feel calm and "in a happy place."  I found this website here that was really helpful for me.  SPD was really a huge answer as to why we were having so many problems.  We all do a process called "sensory integration" where we receive, process and then respond to sensory stimuli.  Sensory integration is where our brains take the sensory input we receive and put it into correct motor and/or behavioral responses.  People with SPD aren't able to process that information correctly.  The website (I'll link it again) explains it really well and also gives a series of symptoms and subtypes.

When we got our evaluation in the mail-it showed that Whitaker had a general low-registration-meaning that he needs more sensory input to recognize sensory input, process the input and respond to that input.  He seeks out sensory stimulation. We also have to teach his brain how to appropriately respond.  He has low registration with his procioceptive (body in space), vestibular (movement-inner ear), auditory, visual and oral senses.  That is why Whitaker loves-like LOVES-gross motor rough and tumble play, walks on his toes, looks at things in funny ways and over and over again, wouldn't respond to his name or commands, loves tight fitting clothes and loves crunchy foods and to chew on things. 

With that being said, Whitaker also tested very high in the "sensory avoidance" area.  That is why he was so rigid in his routines, in the foods that he eats and in the toys that he plays with.  He is fearful of new sensory experiences and has anxiety about what they will be.  This explained why trying to get Whitaker to do a new activity was so hard or why eating new foods seemed actually painful for him.

At our first appointment, I talked frankly with our OT and said, "How bad is this?  It seems really bad."  She told me that his SPD was "moderate" and that she saw it as a bigger issue than his ASD.  I felt like a horrible mother.  I felt so bad that I hadn't realized how big of an issue this was for Whitaker-and with that guilt showing on my face, I asked if it was too late to help him.  Our OT responded that it wasn't too late and that he was young enough that we had time to "re-wire" his brain. 

In conclusion, SPD is real, and it's a big deal.  If you are worried that your child-or heavens-even you deal with this, go and see an OT.  They are amazing and are the "sensory experts."  Here are a few things we've done for Whitaker that have brought him some regulation and have helped him learn. 


Making fine motor tasks into gross motor tasks so he will try


Give Whitaker fun, sensory stimulating activities with therapists to facilitate therapeutic activities and letting Whitaker explore new sensory situations


Lots of gross motor play-like lots and lots

 
Weighted blanket
Heavy work

So-see what I mean-OT's are amazing and I have seen so many gains since we started really addressing whitakers SPD.  And don't worry, I'll post about all of these suggestions at some point in time.

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment