I used to be one of those people who didn't really believe in autism. Sure, I knew there were kids out there with severe autism-you know, the ones who ran around at 15 years old in underwear and bit people- but I honestly didn't believe in all the children who were being diagnosed. I honestly thought it was all a bunch of hype, the latest and greatest diagnosis for strong willed children and bad parents.
Even in nursing school, when we briefly touched on it, I thought to myself, "yeah, yeah, move on. In 10 years this will have blown over and all these kids will have a new diagnosis because the 'autism-ship' has sailed."
Then Whitaker was born.
Whitaker was a sweet baby. Happy, playful, bright, fun. Yeah, we always joked about how strong willed and particular he was or how sensitive he was-but he loved being with people, loved to play and was developing typically. It wasn't until he was 16 months old that I started to get worried because he wasn't saying any words.
I'll spare you the details of how it all played out-and all of the heartbreak involved (I am sure one day we will get to it)-but after 10 months of trying to figure out what was going on, we found ourselves in the office of a child psychologist. I can tell you right now, that is a place I never thought I would end up. Needless to say, I realized that autism is very real.
I can remember that day very specifically. It was a day I hope I never have to repeat and it was the day that changed or lives.
My name is Jen and I have a child with autism spectrum disorder. This is our story.
My hopes in writing this down is that I can have a place to be real about this whole thing. A place to be honest, a place to vent and a place to share our accomplishments and progress. And, you never know, but maybe in my process, I can help someone else!
So, come enjoy our roller-coaster with us!
Jen! you are brave and courageous and will be a light to all of those parents seeking extra support. xoxo
ReplyDelete